audience: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ô'dē-uns), [key]
- the group of spectators at a public event; listeners or viewers collectively, as in attendance at a theater or concert: The audience was respectful of the speaker's opinion.
- the persons reached by a book, radio or television broadcast, etc.; public: Some works of music have a wide and varied audience.
- a regular public that manifests interest, support, enthusiasm, or the like; a following: Every art form has its audience.
- opportunity to be heard; chance to speak to or before a person or group; a hearing.
- a formal interview with a sovereign, high officer of government, or other high-ranking person: an audience with the pope.
- the act of hearing, or attending to, words or sounds.
- audience (Thesaurus)