assemblage: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-sem'blij for 3, 4 also Fr. a-sän-blazh'), [key]
- a group of persons or things gathered or collected; an assembly; collection; aggregate.
- the act of assembling; state of being assembled.
- a sculptural technique of organizing or composing into a unified whole a group of unrelated and often fragmentary or discarded objects.
- a work of art produced by this technique. Cf. collage, found object, ready-made (def. 4).
- the aggregate of artifacts and other remains found on a site, considered as material evidence in support of a theory concerning the culture or cultures inhabiting it.
- assemblage (Thesaurus)