assay: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.a-sā'n.as'ā, a-sā'), [key]
- to examine or analyze: to assay a situation; to assay an event.
- to analyze (an ore, alloy, etc.) in order to determine the quantity of gold, silver, or other metal in it.
- to subject (a drug) to an analysis for the determination of its potency or composition.
- to judge the quality of; assess; evaluate: to assay someone's efforts.
- to try or test; put to trial: to assay one's strength; to assay one's debating abilities.
- to attempt; try; essay: to assay a dance step.
- to contain, as shown by analysis, a certain proportion of usually precious metal.
- determination of the amount of metal, esp. gold or silver, in an ore, alloy, etc.
- a substance undergoing analysis or trial.
- a detailed report of the findings in assaying a substance.
- examination; trial; attempt; essay.
- assay (Thesaurus)