artificial: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (är"tu-fish'ul), [key]
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.
- made by human skill; produced by humans (opposed to natural): artificial flowers.
- imitation; simulated; sham: artificial vanilla flavoring.
- lacking naturalness or spontaneity; forced; contrived; feigned: an artificial smile.
- full of affectation; affected; stilted: artificial manners; artificial speech.
- made without regard to the particular needs of a situation, person, etc.; imposed arbitrarily; unnatural: artificial rules for dormitory residents.
- based on arbitrary, superficial characteristics rather than natural, organic relationships: an artificial system of classification.
- manufactured to resemble a natural gem, in chemical composition or appearance. Cf. assembled, imitation (def. 11),(def. 6).