WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. artificial (vs. natural), unreal, arranged, staged, bionic, bleached, colored, coloured, dyed, cardboard, unlifelike, celluloid, synthetic, conventionalized, conventionalised, stylized, stylised, dummy, ersatz, substitute, factitious, fake, false, faux, imitation, simulated, man-made, semisynthetic, synthetic, near, painted, counterfeit#1, imitative, unreal
- usage: contrived by art rather than nature; "artificial flowers"; "artificial flavoring"; "an artificial diamond"; "artificial fibers"; "artificial sweeteners"
- 2. artificial, contrived, hokey, stilted, affected (vs. unaffected), unnatural
- usage: artificially formal; "that artificial humility that her husband hated"; "contrived coyness"; "a stilted letter of acknowledgment"; "when people try to correct their speech they develop a stilted pronunciation"
- 3. artificial, inorganic (vs. organic)
- usage: not arising from natural growth or characterized by vital processes
All rights reserved.
See also: artificial (Dictionary)