approximate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (adj.u-prok'su-mitv.u-prok'su-māt&sec), [key]
— adj., v., -mat•ed, -mat•ing.
- near or approaching a certain state, condition, goal, or standard.
- nearly exact; not perfectly accurate or correct: The approximate time was 10 o'clock.
- near; close together.
- very similar; nearly identical.
- to come near to; approach closely to: to approximate an ideal.
- to estimate: We approximated the distance at three miles.
- to simulate; imitate closely: The motions of the stars can be approximated in a planetarium.
- to bring near.
- to come near in position, character, amount, etc.
- approximate (Thesaurus)