appointment: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-point'munt), [key]
- a fixed mutual agreement for a meeting; engagement: We made an appointment to meet again.
- a meeting set for a specific time or place: I'm late for my appointment.
- the act of appointing, designating, or placing in office: to fill a vacancy by appointment.
- an office, position, or the like, to which a person is appointed: He received his appointment as ambassador to Italy.
- Usually,equipment, furnishings, or accouterments.
- accouterments for a soldier or a horse.
- a horse-show class in which the contestant need not be a member of a hunt but must wear regulation hunt livery. Cf. Corinthian (def. 9).
- decree; ordinance.
- appointment (Thesaurus)