ape: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (āp), [key]
— n., v., aped, ap•ing.
- any of a group of anthropoid primates characterized by long arms, a broad chest, and the absence of a tail, comprising the family Pongidaewhich includes the chimpanzee, gorilla, and orangutan, and the family Hylobatidaewhich includes the gibbon and siamang.
- (loosely) any primate except humans.
- an imitator; mimic.
- a big, ugly, clumsy person.
- to imitate; mimic: to ape another's style of writing.
- to become violently emotional: When she threatened to leave him, he went ape.
- to be extremely enthusiastic about: They go ape over old rock music.
- ape (Thesaurus)