Meaning of amount
Pronunciation: (u-mount'), [key]
- the sum total of two or more quantities or sums; aggregate.
- the sum of the principal and interest of a loan.
- quantity; measure: a great amount of resistance.
- the full effect, value, or significance.
- to total; add (usually fol. by to): The repair bill amounts to $300.
- to reach, extend, or be equal in number, quantity, effect, etc.; be equivalent (usually fol. by to): It is stated differently but amounts to the same thing.
- to develop into; become (usually fol. by to): With his intelligence, he should amount to something when he grows up.
- amount (Thesaurus)