Meaning of Amazon
Pronunciation: (am'u-zon", -zun), [key]
- a river in N South America, flowing E from the Peruvian Andes through N Brazil to the Atlantic Ocean: the largest river in the world in volume of water carried. 3900 mi. (6280 km) long.
- one of a race of female warriors said to dwell near the Black Sea.
- one of a fabled tribe of female warriors in South America.
- (often l.c.) a tall, powerful, aggressive woman.
- any of several green parrots of the genus Amazona, of tropical America, often kept as pets.
- amazon (Thesaurus)