alpha: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (al'fu), [key]
- the first letter of the Greek alphabet (A, &agr;).
- the vowel sound represented by this letter.
- the first; beginning.
- (cap.)used to designate the brightest star in a constellation.
- one of two or more isomeric compounds.
- the first in a series of related items: frequently used in chemistry and physics.
- a mark or grade corresponding to an A. Cf. beta (def. 8),(def. 9).
- (esp. of animals) having the highest rank of its sex in a dominance hierarchy: the alpha female.
- pertaining or linked to the carbon atom closest to a particular group in an organic molecule.
- alpha (Thesaurus)