Meaning of alloy
Pronunciation: (n.al'oi, u-loi'v.u-loi'), [key]
- a substance composed of two or more metals, or of a metal or metals with a nonmetal, intimately mixed, as by fusion or electrodeposition.
- a less costly metal mixed with a more valuable one.
- standard; quality; fineness.
- admixture, as of good with evil.
- anything added that serves to reduce quality or purity.
- to mix (metals or metal with nonmetal) so as to form an alloy.
- to reduce in value by an admixture of a less costly metal.
- to debase, impair, or reduce by admixture; adulterate.
- alloy (Thesaurus)