Meaning of against
Pronunciation: (u-genst', u-gānst'), [key]
- in opposition to; contrary to; adverse or hostile to: twenty votes against ten; against reason.
- in resistance to or defense from: protection against burglars.
- in an opposite direction to: to ride against the wind.
- into contact or collision with; toward; upon: The rain beat against the window.
- in contact with: to lean against the wall.
- in preparation for; in provision for: money saved against a rainy day.
- having as background: a design of flowers against a dark wall.
- in exchange for; as a balance to or debit or charge on: He asked for an advance against his salary.
- in competition with: a racehorse running against his own record time.
- in comparison or contrast with: a matter of reason as against emotion.
- beside; near; before: The car is against the building.
- in contrast with: the rich over against the poor.
- before; by the time that.