Meaning of afford
Pronunciation: (u-fôrd', u-fōrd'), [key]
- to be able to do, manage, or bear without serious consequence or adverse effect: The country can't afford another drought.
- to be able to meet the expense of; have or be able to spare the price of: Can we afford a trip to Europe this year? The city can easily afford to repair the street.
- to be able to give or spare: He can't afford the loss of a day.
- to furnish; supply: The transaction afforded him a good profit.
- to be capable of yielding or providing: The records afford no explanation.
- to give or confer upon: to afford great pleasure to someone.
- afford (Thesaurus)