affirmative: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-fûr'mu-tiv), [key]
- affirming or assenting; asserting the truth, validity, or fact of something.
- expressing agreement or consent; assenting: an affirmative reply.
- positive; not negative.
- noting a proposition in which a property of a subject is affirmed, as “All men are happy.”
- something that affirms or asserts; a positive statement or proposition; affirmation.
- a reply indicating assent, as Yes or I do.
- a manner or mode that indicates assent: a reply in the affirmative.
- the side, as in a debate, that affirms or defends a statement that the opposite side denies or attacks: to speak for the affirmative.
- (used to indicate agreement, assent, etc.): “Is this the right way to Lake George?” “Affirmative.”
- affirmative (Thesaurus)