Meaning of adjustment
Pronunciation: (u-just'munt), [key]
- the act of adjusting; adaptation to a particular condition, position, or purpose.
- the state of being adjusted; orderly relation of parts or elements.
- a device, as a knob or lever, for adjusting: the adjustments on a television set.
- the act of bringing something into conformity with external requirements: the adjustment of one's view of reality.
- harmony achieved by modification or change of a position: They worked out an adjustment of their conflicting ideas.
- a process of modifying, adapting, or altering individual or collective patterns of behavior so as to bring them into conformity with other such patterns, as with those provided by a cultural environment.
- the act of ascertaining the amount of indemnity that the party insured is entitled to receive under the policy, and of settling the claim.
- a settlement of a disputed account or claim.
- a change or concession, as in price or other terms, in view of minor defect or the like.
- adjustment (Thesaurus)