academy: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (u-kad'u-mē), [key]
— pl. -mies.
- a secondary or high school, esp. a private one.
- a school or college for special instruction or training in a subject: a military academy.
- an association or institution for the advancement of art, literature, or science: the National Academy of Arts and Letters.
- a group of authorities and leaders in a field of scholarship, art, etc., who are often permitted to dictate standards, prescribe methods, and criticize new ideas.
- the Platonic school of philosophy or its adherents.
- academe (def. 3).
- SeeFrench Academy.
- SeeRoyal Academy.
- academy (Thesaurus)