2006 Nobel Prize Winners
Updated February 11, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
- Peace: Muhammad Yunus (Bangladesh) and the Grameen Bank of Bangladesh for ?their efforts to create economic and social development from below?
- Literature: Orhan Pamuk (Turkey) ?who in the quest for the melancholic soul of his native city has discovered new symbols for the clash and interlacing of cultures?
- Physics: John C. Mather and George F. Smoot (both U.S.) for ?their discovery of the blackbody form and anisotropy of the cosmic microwave background radiation?
- Chemistry: Roger D. Kornberg (U.S.) for ?his studies of the molecular basis of eukaryotic transcription?
- Physiology or Medicine: Andrew Z. Fire and Craig C. Mello (both U.S.) for ?their discovery of RNA interference - gene silencing by double-stranded RNA?
- Economics: Edmund S. Phelps (U.S.) for ?his analysis of intertemporal tradeoffs in macroeconomic policy?