Top News Stories from 1933
Population: 4.378 billionpopulation by decade
Nobel Peace Prize: Sir Norman Angell (UK)More World Statistics...
- Reichstag fire in Berlin; Nazi terror begins (Feb. 27).
- Hitler becomes German chancellor (Jan. 30).
- Germany and Japan withdraw from League of Nations.
President: Franklin D Roosevelt
Vice President: John N. Garner
Population: 125,578,763More U.S. Statistics...
- Giuseppe Zangara executed for attempted assassination of President-elect Roosevelt in which Chicago Mayor Cermak is fatally shot. Background: Assassinations and Attempts in U.S. Since 1865
- Prohibition repealed. Background: Amendments to the Constitution of the United States
- Glass-Steagall Act bans banks from dealing in stocks and bonds.
- Roosevelt inaugurated (“the only thing we have to fear is fear itself”); launches New Deal.
Federal spending: $4.60 billion
Consumer Price Index: $13
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.03
World SeriesNY Giants d. Washington (4-1)
Stanley CupNY Rangers d. Toronto
WimbledonWomen: Helen Moody d. D. Round (6-4 6-8 6-3)
Men: Jack Crawford d. E. Vines (4-6 11-9 6-2 2-6 6-4)
Kentucky Derby ChampionBrokers Tip
NCAA Football ChampionsMichigan (8-0-0)
Entertainment AwardsPulitzer Prizes
Fiction: The Store, T. S. Stribling
Drama: Both Your Houses, Maxwell Anderson
Academy Award, Best Picture: No ceremony was held this year. Films from 1933 were honored in 1934.
Nobel Prize for Literature: Ivan G. Bunin (Russia)
Miss America: Marion Bergeron (CT)More Entertainment Awards...
- Edwin Armstrong introduces frequency modulation (FM), a static-free method of transmission.
- Esquire debuts as the first men's magazine.
- Laurens Hammond introduces his Hammond organ.
- Sally Rand's fan dance is a hit at the Chicago World's Fair.
Nobel Prizes in Science
Chemistry: None awarded
Physics: Erwin Schrödinger (Austria) and Paul A. M. Dirac (UK), for discovery of new fertile forms of the atomic theory
Physiology or Medicine: Thomas H. Morgan (US), for discoveries on hereditary function of the chromosomesMore Nobel Prizes in 1998...
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.