Top News Stories from 1916
- Battle of Verdun is fought. Battle of the Somme follows in July. Background: World War I
- Pershing fails in raid into Mexico in quest of rebel Pancho Villa.
- Easter Rebellion in Ireland put down by British troops.
President: Woodrow Wilson
Vice President: Thomas R. Marshall
Population: 101,961,000More U.S. Statistics...
- Congress authorizes a plan to expand the U.S. armed forces over the next five years (June).
- Montana voters elect 36-year-old Republican Jeannette Rankin, the first woman to serve in the U.S. Congress.
- U.S. National Park Service in the Department of the Interior is created by act of Congress (Aug. 20).
- Margaret Sanger opens the first birth control clinic in the country at 46 Amboy St., Brooklyn.
Federal spending: $0.71 billion
Consumer Price Index: $10.9
Cost of a first-class stamp: $0.02
World SeriesBoston Red Sox d. Brooklyn (4-1)
Stanley CupMontreal Canadiens (NHA)
Kentucky Derby ChampionGeorge Smith
NCAA Football ChampionsPittsburgh (8-0-0)
Nobel Prize for Literature: Verner von Heidenstam (Sweden)More Entertainment Awards...
- Charlie Chaplin signs on with Mutual Studios and earns an unprecedented $10,000 a week.
- Albert Einstein completes his mathematical formulation of a general theory of relativity, which includes gravity.