Country Profile Notes
Country Profile Sources and Definitions
The World Factbook; Center for International Research, U.S. Bureau of the Census; The Columbia Encyclopedia; The World Book Encyclopedia; Encyclopdia Britannica; U.S. State Dept., and various newspapers.
Population figures are supplied by the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Gross domestic product (GDP)
- The value of all goods and services produced domestically.
- Purchasing power parity (PPP)
- The PPP method involves the use of standardized international dollar price weights, which are applied to the GDP produced in a given economy. The data derived from the PPP method provide a better comparison of economic well-being between countries than conversions at official currency exchange rates.
- Gross national product (GNP)
- The value of all goods and services produced domestically plus income earned abroad, minus income earned by foreigners from domestic production.
- cost, insurance, and freight
- free on board
Inflation is based on consumer prices.
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.