World Skating League
Updated February 28, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
Here is a list of the four active WSL teams and interesting facts about some of their key players: (Note: the Illinois Terror and the Texas Rustlers have not finalized their respective rosters.)
- Men's captain Sean Atkinson's babysitter was Roller Derby legend Joanie Weston.
- The Quakes female squad, the "Bod Squad," has a victory dance called "The Quake and Shake".
- 16-year-old Tony Santiago is the league's youngest skater.
- Heather and Brooke Sunderman are sisters.
- Faith Urban has studied Judo for 16 years and in the early '90s was ranked in the top five in the United States.
- Andrea Franklin gained notoriety for chasing down and catching two criminals in Miami. The story ran on the front page of the Miami Herald and earned her an appearance on Geraldo.
- David Gletty is a tree surgeon when he's not skating.
- Men's captain Richard Brown appeared in the motion picture Kansas City Bomber with Raquel Welch.
- Pasi Schalin, "The Finnish Flash", is a former Chippendale's dancer and is married to teammate Susanne Schalin.
- Debbie Rice holds the Guinness World Record for fastest women's downhill in-line skater.
Nevada Hot Dice
- Micah Martin's brother is Sam "The Flame" Martin, a Jammer for the Florida Sundogs.
- Laura Weintraub was the only female on the men's ice hockey team at Ventura College.
- Christian Salvia and teammate P.J. Rosi, both high school students, once worked together at a place called "Steak and Shake".
- Shay Brown's mom was a national speed skating champion.
- Captian Mike D'Amato says he's only happy "when he's beating people up."
- Brian Gamble holds the record for "The Wall" event on American Gladiators.
- Tim Washington was "Titan" on American Gladiators, and is a cousin of former middleweight boxing champion "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler.
- Jane Abraham is an ordained minister and the only person she knows of who can blow up a hot water bottle until it explodes.
- Heather "The Gun" Gunnin won three roller sports medals at the 1997 Pan American Championships in Ecuador.
- Karen Magnussen has 23 piercings, but "you can only see 18 of them."