Demographic and Health Characteristics of Births
Updated August 5, 2020 | Infoplease Staff
The following table shows the number of births, prenatal care, number of preterm infants, and the number of low birthweight infants, according to the race of the mother in 2004.
|Asian or |
|Number of births||4,115,590||2,304,181||576,105||43,931||229,352||944,993|
|Prenatal care beginning in first trimester||83.9%||88.9%||76.5%||69.9%||85.6%||77.4%|
|Prenatal care beginning in third trimester or no care3||3.2||2.2||5.7||7.9||3.0||5.4|
|Low birthweight infant6||8.1||7.2||13.7||7.5||7.9||6.8|
|Very low birthweight infant6||1.5||1.2||3.1||1.3||1.1||1.2|
1. Hispanic origin may be of any race.
2. Includes births to Aleuts and Eskimos.
3. Excludes data for Pa. and Wash.
4. Excludes data for Calif.
5. Percent of births less than 37 completed weeks of gestation.
6. Low birthweight is birthweight of less than 2,500 grams (5 lb 8 oz). Very low birthweight is birthweight of less than 1,500 grams (3 lb 4 oz).
Source: National Center for Health Statistics, National Vital Statistics Reports, vol. 54, no. 8, Dec. 29, 2005. Web: www.cdc.gov/nchs .
|Births: Other Data for 2004||Births||Gestational Age and Birthweight Characteristics by Plurality: United States, 2002|