Ellis and Angel Islands | Civics: Links to History
Updated February 28, 2017 | Infoplease Staff
Links to History: Ellis & Angel Islands
- 1892 Ellis Island opens as an immigration station in New York harbor.
- source: The Granger Collection
- 1907 In a single day, 11,747 immigrants pass through Ellis Island.
- 1910 Angel Island opens as an immigration station in San Francisco Bay.
- source: Rudolph Vetter, National Archives and Records Administration / Presidential Library
- 1940 Angel Island ceases operation. Some 175,000 Chinese immigrants have passed through Angel Island.
- 1954 Ellis Island ceases operation. Some 12 million immigrants have passed through Ellis Island.
- 1990 The restored Main Building at Ellis Island opens as a museum.
- 2000 California voters approve a $15 million proposition to begin full restoration of Angel Island. The entire project is expected to be completed by 2010, the one-hundredth anniversary of the immigration station's opening.