- 1. writing, authorship, composition, penning, verbal creation
- usage: the act of creating written works; "writing was a form of therapy for him"; "it was a matter of disputed authorship"
- 2. writing, written material, piece of writing, written communication, written language, black and white
- usage: the work of a writer; anything expressed in letters of the alphabet (especially when considered from the point of view of style and effect); "the writing in her novels is excellent"; "that editorial was a fine piece of writing"
- 3. writing, written communication, written language, black and white, oeuvre, work, body of work
- usage: (usually plural) the collected work of an author; "the idea occurs with increasing frequency in Hemingway's writings"
- 4. writing, written communication, written language, black and white
- usage: letters or symbols that are written or imprinted on a surface to represent the sounds or words of a language; "he turned the paper over so the writing wouldn't show"; "the doctor's writing was illegible"
- 5. writing, committal to writing, activity
- usage: the activity of putting something in written form; "she did the thinking while he did the writing"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. write, compose, pen, indite, create verbally
- usage: produce a literary work; "She composed a poem"; "He wrote four novels"
- 2. write, communicate, intercommunicate
- usage: communicate or express by writing; "Please write to me every week"
- 3. publish, write, create verbally
- usage: have (one's written work) issued for publication; "How many books did Georges Simenon write?"; "She published 25 books during her long career"
- 4. write, drop a line, correspond
- usage: communicate (with) in writing; "Write her soon, please!"
- 5. write, communicate, intercommunicate
- usage: communicate by letter; "He wrote that he would be coming soon"
- 6. compose, write, make, create
- usage: write music; "Beethoven composed nine symphonies"
- 7. write, trace, draw, line, describe, delineate
- usage: mark or trace on a surface; "The artist wrote Chinese characters on a big piece of white paper"; "Russian is written with the Cyrillic alphabet"
- 8. write, save, record, tape
- usage: record data on a computer; "boot-up instructions are written on the hard disk"
- 9. spell, write
- usage: write or name the letters that comprise the conventionally accepted form of (a word or part of a word); "He spelled the word wrong in this letter"
- 10. write, create by mental act, create mentally
- usage: create code, write a computer program; "She writes code faster than anybody else"
All rights reserved.
See also: writing (Dictionary)