- 1. wrestle, wrestling, grapple, grappling, hand-to-hand struggle, struggle
- usage: the act of engaging in close hand-to-hand combat; "they had a fierce wrestle"; "we watched his grappling and wrestling with the bully"
- 2. wrestling, rassling, grappling, contact sport
- usage: the sport of hand-to-hand struggle between unarmed contestants who try to throw each other down
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. wrestle, battle, combat
- usage: combat to overcome an opposing tendency or force; "He wrestled all his life with his feeling of inferiority"
- 2. wrestle, consider, debate, moot, turn over, deliberate
- usage: engage in deep thought, consideration, or debate; "I wrestled with this decision for years"
- 3. writhe, wrestle, wriggle, worm, squirm, twist, move
- usage: to move in a twisting or contorted motion, (especially when struggling); "The prisoner writhed in discomfort"; "The child tried to wriggle free from his aunt's embrace"
- 4. wrestle, contend, fight, struggle
- usage: engage in a wrestling match; "The children wrestled in the garden"
All rights reserved.
See also: wrestling (Dictionary)