- 1. word, language unit, linguistic unit
- usage: a unit of language that native speakers can identify; "words are the blocks from which sentences are made"; "he hardly said ten words all morning"
- 2. word, statement
- usage: a brief statement; "he didn't say a word about it"
- 3. news, intelligence, tidings, word, information, info
- usage: information about recent and important events; "they awaited news of the outcome"
- 4. word, order
- usage: a verbal command for action; "when I give the word, charge!"
- 5. discussion, give-and-take, word, speech, speech communication, spoken communication, spoken language, language, voice communication, oral communication
- usage: an exchange of views on some topic; "we had a good discussion"; "we had a word or two about it"
- 6. parole, word, word of honor, promise
- usage: a promise; "he gave his word"
- 7. word, computer memory unit
- usage: a word is a string of bits stored in computer memory; "large computers use words up to 64 bits long"
- 8. Son, Word, Logos
- usage: the divine word of God; the second person in the Trinity (incarnate in Jesus)
- 9. password, watchword, word, parole, countersign, positive identification, secret, arcanum
- usage: a secret word or phrase known only to a restricted group; "he forgot the password"
- 10. Bible, Christian Bible, Book, Good Book, Holy Scripture, Holy Writ, Scripture, Word of God, Word, sacred text, sacred writing, religious writing, religious text
- usage: the sacred writings of the Christian religions; "he went to carry the Word to the heathen"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. give voice, formulate, word, phrase, articulate, express, show, evince
- usage: put into words or an expression; "He formulated his concerns to the board of trustees"
All rights reserved.
See also: word (Dictionary)