Synonyms of wash
- 1. wash, water-base paint
- usage: a thin coat of water-base paint
- 2. wash, washing, lavation, work
- usage: the work of cleansing (usually with soap and water)
- 3. wash, dry wash, streambed, creek bed
- usage: the dry bed of an intermittent stream (as at the bottom of a canyon)
- 4. washout, wash, soil erosion
- usage: the erosive process of washing away soil or gravel by water (as from a roadway); "from the house they watched the washout of their newly seeded lawn by the water"
- 5. slipstream, airstream, race, backwash, wash, flow
- usage: the flow of air that is driven backwards by an aircraft propeller
- 6. wash, wash drawing, watercolor, water-color, watercolour, water-colour
- usage: a watercolor made by applying a series of monochrome washes one over the other
- 7. laundry, wash, washing, washables, garment, white goods, household linen
- usage: garments or white goods that can be cleaned by laundering
- 8. wash, business activity, commercial activity
- usage: any enterprise in which losses and gains cancel out; "at the end of the year the accounting department showed that it was a wash"
- 1. wash, rinse, serve, process, swear out
- usage: clean with some chemical process
- 2. wash, lave, cleanse, clean
- usage: cleanse (one's body) with soap and water
- 3. wash, launder, clean, make clean
- usage: cleanse with a cleaning agent, such as soap, and water; "Wash the towels, please!"
- 4. wash, move, displace
- usage: move by or as if by water; "The swollen river washed away the footbridge"
- 5. wash, be
- usage: be capable of being washed; "Does this material wash?"
- 6. wash, stand
- usage: admit to testing or proof; "This silly excuse won't wash in traffic court"
- 7. wash, separate
- usage: separate dirt or gravel from (precious minerals)
- 8. wash, cover
- usage: apply a thin coating of paint, metal, etc., to
- 9. wash, wash out, wash off, wash away, remove, take, take away, withdraw
- usage: remove by the application of water or other liquid and soap or some other cleaning agent; "he washed the dirt from his coat"; "The nurse washed away the blood"; "Can you wash away the spots on the windows?"; "he managed to wash out the stains"
- 10. wash, erode, eat away, fret
- usage: form by erosion; "The river washed a ravine into the mountainside"
- 11. moisten, wash, dampen, wet
- usage: make moist; "The dew moistened the meadows"
- 12. lave, lap, wash, flow
- usage: wash or flow against; "the waves laved the shore"
- 13. wash, cleanse, clean
- usage: to cleanse (itself or another animal) by licking; "The cat washes several times a day"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of wash (Dictionary)