- 1. war, warfare, military action, action
- usage: the waging of armed conflict against an enemy; "thousands of people were killed in the war"
- 2. war, state of war, hostility, enmity, antagonism
- usage: a legal state created by a declaration of war and ended by official declaration during which the international rules of war apply; "war was declared in November but actual fighting did not begin until the following spring"
- 3. war, warfare, conflict, struggle, battle
- usage: an active struggle between competing entities; "a price war"; "a war of wits"; "diplomatic warfare"
- 4. war, campaign, cause, crusade, drive, movement, effort
- usage: a concerted campaign to end something that is injurious; "the war on poverty"; "the war against crime"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. war, contend, fight, struggle
- usage: make or wage war
All rights reserved.
See also: war (Dictionary)