Synonyms of use
- 1. use, usage, utilization, utilisation, employment, exercise, activity
- usage: the act of using; "he warned against the use of narcotic drugs"; "skilled in the utilization of computers"
- 2. function, purpose, role, use, utility, usefulness
- usage: what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
- 3. use, utility, usefulness
- usage: a particular service; "he put his knowledge to good use"; "patrons have their uses"
- 4. consumption, economic consumption, usance, use, use of goods and services, demand
- usage: (economics) the utilization of economic goods to satisfy needs or in manufacturing; "the consumption of energy has increased steadily"
- 5. habit, use, custom, usage, usance
- usage: (psychology) an automatic pattern of behavior in reaction to a specific situation; may be inherited or acquired through frequent repetition; "owls have nocturnal habits"; "she had a habit twirling the ends of her hair"; "long use had hardened him to it"
- 6. manipulation, use, influence
- usage: exerting shrewd or devious influence especially for one's own advantage; "his manipulation of his friends was scandalous"
- 7. use, enjoyment, legal right
- usage: (law) the exercise of the legal right to enjoy the benefits of owning property; "we were given the use of his boat"
- 1. use, utilize, utilise, apply, employ
- usage: put into service; make work or employ for a particular purpose or for its inherent or natural purpose; "use your head!"; "we only use Spanish at home"; "I can't use this tool"; "Apply a magnetic field here"; "This thinking was applied to many projects"; "How do you utilize this tool?"; "I apply this rule to get good results"; "use the plastic bags to store the food"; "He doesn't know how to use a computer"
- 2. use, habituate, consume, ingest, take in, take, have
- usage: take or consume (regularly or habitually); "She uses drugs rarely"
- 3. use, expend
- usage: use up, consume fully; "The legislature expended its time on school questions"
- 4. use, exploit, work
- usage: seek or achieve an end by using to one's advantage; "She uses her influential friends to get jobs"; "The president's wife used her good connections"
- 5. practice, apply, use
- usage: avail oneself to; "apply a principle"; "practice a religion"; "use care when going down the stairs"; "use your common sense"; "practice non-violent resistance"
- 6. use, act, move
- usage: habitually do something (use only in the past tense); "She used to call her mother every week but now she calls only occasionally"; "I used to get sick when I ate in that dining hall"; "They used to vacation in the Bahamas"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of use (Dictionary)