- 1. upstart, unpleasant person, disagreeable person
- usage: an arrogant or presumptuous person
- 2. upstart, parvenu, nouveau-riche, arriviste, unpleasant person, disagreeable person
- usage: a person who has suddenly risen to a higher economic status but has not gained social acceptance of others in that class
- 3. kip, upstart, gymnastic exercise
- usage: a gymnastic exercise performed starting from a position with the legs over the upper body and moving to an erect position by arching the back and swinging the legs out and down while forcing the chest upright
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. nouveau-riche, parvenu, parvenue, upstart(prenominal), pretentious (vs. unpretentious)
- usage: characteristic of someone who has risen economically or socially but lacks the social skills appropriate for this new position
All rights reserved.
See also: upstart (Dictionary)