Synonyms of union
- 1. union, labor union, trade union, trades union, brotherhood, organization, organisation
- usage: an organization of employees formed to bargain with the employer; "you have to join the union in order to get a job"
- 2. Union, North
- usage: the United States (especially the northern states during the American Civil War); "he has visited every state in the Union"; "Lee hoped to detach Maryland from the Union"; "the North's superior resources turned the scale"
- 3. coupling, mating, pairing, conjugation, union, sexual union, sexual activity, sexual practice, sex, sex activity
- usage: the act of pairing a male and female for reproductive purposes; "the casual couplings of adolescents"; "the mating of some species occurs only in the spring"
- 4. union, unification, state
- usage: the state of being joined or united or linked; "there is strength in union"
- 5. marriage, matrimony, union, spousal relationship, wedlock, marital status
- usage: the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce); "a long and happy marriage"; "God bless this union"
- 6. union, conglutination, healing
- usage: healing process involving the growing together of the edges of a wound or the growing together of broken bones
- 7. union, political unit, political entity
- usage: a political unit formed from previously independent people or organizations; "the Soviet Union"
- 8. union, sum, join, set
- usage: a set containing all and only the members of two or more given sets; "let C be the union of the sets A and B"
- 9. union, happening, occurrence, occurrent, natural event
- usage: the occurrence of a uniting of separate parts; "lightning produced an unusual union of the metals"
- 10. union, device
- usage: a device on a national flag emblematic of the union of two or more sovereignties (typically in the upper inner corner)
- 11. union, unification, uniting, conjugation, jointure, combination, combining, compounding
- usage: the act of making or becoming a single unit; "the union of opposing factions"; "he looked forward to the unification of his family for the holidays"
- 1. Union, Federal, northern (vs. southern)
- usage: being of or having to do with the northern United States and those loyal to the Union during the American Civil War; "Union soldiers"; "Federal forces"; "a Federal infantryman"
- 2. union (vs. nonunion), closed(prenominal), organized, organised, unionized, unionised
- usage: of trade unions; "the union movement"; "union negotiations"; "a union-shop clause in the contract"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of union (Dictionary)