- 1. unfortunate, unfortunate person, person, individual, someone, somebody, mortal, soul
- usage: a person who suffers misfortune
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. unfortunate (vs. fortunate), abject, black, calamitous, disastrous, fatal, fateful, dispossessed, homeless, roofless, hapless, miserable, misfortunate, pathetic, piteous, pitiable, pitiful, poor, wretched, doomed, ill-fated, ill-omened, ill-starred, unlucky, downtrodden, infelicitous, unhappy, regrettable, too bad, underprivileged, unlucky#1, luckless, unsuccessful
- usage: not favored by fortune; marked or accompanied by or resulting in ill fortune; "an unfortunate turn of events"; "an unfortunate decision"; "unfortunate investments"; "an unfortunate night for all concerned"
- 2. inauspicious (vs. auspicious), unfortunate, unpromising
- usage: not auspicious; boding ill
- 3. unfortunate, infelicitous (vs. felicitous)
- usage: unsuitable or regrettable; "an unfortunate choice of words"; "an unfortunate speech"
All rights reserved.
See also: unfortunate (Dictionary)