- 1. pace, stride, tread, step
- usage: a step in walking or running
- 2. tread, surface
- usage: the grooved surface of a pneumatic tire
- 3. tread, contact, tangency
- usage: the part (as of a wheel or shoe) that makes contact with the ground
- 4. tread, structural member
- usage: structural member consisting of the horizontal part of a stair or step
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. step, tread, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: put down or press the foot, place the foot; "For fools rush in where angels fear to tread"; "step on the brake"
- 2. tread, trample, walk
- usage: tread or stomp heavily or roughly; "The soldiers trampled across the fields"
- 3. tread, squash, crush, squelch, mash, squeeze
- usage: crush as if by treading on; "tread grapes to make wine"
- 4. tread, brace
- usage: brace (an archer's bow) by pressing the foot against the center
- 5. tread, give, apply
- usage: apply (the tread) to a tire
- 6. tread, copulate, mate, pair, couple
- usage: mate with; "male birds tread the females"
All rights reserved.
See also: tread (Dictionary)