- 1. title, statute title, rubric, heading, header, head
- usage: a heading that names a statute or legislative bill; may give a brief summary of the matters it deals with; "Title 8 provided federal help for schools"
- 2. title, name
- usage: the name of a work of art or literary composition etc.; "he looked for books with the word `jazz' in the title"; "he refused to give titles to his paintings"; "I can never remember movie titles"
- 3. title, subheading, subhead
- usage: a general or descriptive heading for a section of a written work; "the novel had chapter titles"
- 4. championship, title, high status
- usage: the status of being a champion; "he held the title for two years"
- 5. deed, deed of conveyance, title, legal document, legal instrument, official document, instrument
- usage: a legal document signed and sealed and delivered to effect a transfer of property and to show the legal right to possess it; "he signed the deed"; "he kept the title to his car in the glove compartment"
- 6. title, title of respect, form of address, appellation, denomination, designation, appellative
- usage: an identifying appellation signifying status or function: e.g. `Mr.' or `General'; "the professor didn't like his friends to use his formal title"
- 7. title, claim, legal right
- usage: an established or recognized right; "a strong legal claim to the property"; "he had no documents confirming his title to his father's estate"; "he staked his claim"
- 8. title, writing, written material, piece of writing
- usage: (usually plural) written material introduced into a movie or TV show to give credits or represent dialogue or explain an action; "the titles go by faster than I can read"
- 9. title, appellation, denomination, designation, appellative
- usage: an appellation signifying nobility; "`your majesty' is the appropriate title to use in addressing a king"
- 10. claim, title, right
- usage: an informal right to something; "his claim on her attentions"; "his title to fame"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. entitle, title, name, call
- usage: give a title to
- 2. style, title, name, call
- usage: designate by an identifying term; "They styled their nation `The Confederate States'"
All rights reserved.
See also: title (Dictionary)