- 1. bomber, grinder, hero, hero sandwich, hoagie, hoagy, Cuban sandwich, Italian sandwich, poor boy, sub, submarine, submarine sandwich, torpedo, wedge, zep, sandwich
- usage: a large sandwich made of a long crusty roll split lengthwise and filled with meats and cheese (and tomato and onion and lettuce and condiments); different names are used in different sections of the United States
- 2. submarine, pigboat, sub, U-boat, submersible, submersible warship
- usage: a submersible warship usually armed with torpedoes
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. substitute, sub, stand in, fill in, exchange, change, interchange
- usage: be a substitute; "The young teacher had to substitute for the sick colleague"; "The skim milk substitutes for cream--we are on a strict diet"
All rights reserved.
See also: sub (Dictionary)