Synonyms of string
- 1. string, twine, cord
- usage: a lightweight cord
- 2. bowed stringed instrument, string, stringed instrument
- usage: stringed instruments that are played with a bow; "the strings played superlatively well"
- 3. string, cord
- usage: a tightly stretched cord of wire or gut, which makes sound when plucked, struck, or bowed
- 4. string, train, series
- usage: a sequentially ordered set of things or events or ideas in which each successive member is related to the preceding; "a string of islands"; "train of mourners"; "a train of thought"
- 5. string, sequence
- usage: a linear sequence of symbols (characters or words or phrases)
- 6. drawstring, drawing string, string, tie
- usage: a tie consisting of a cord that goes through a seam around an opening; "he pulled the drawstring and closed the bag"
- 7. string, fiber, fibre
- usage: a tough piece of fiber in vegetables, meat, or other food (especially the tough fibers connecting the two halves of a bean pod)
- 8. string, cosmic string, elementary particle, fundamental particle
- usage: (cosmology) a hypothetical one-dimensional subatomic particle having a concentration of energy and the dynamic properties of a flexible loop
- 9. string, collection, aggregation, accumulation, assemblage
- usage: a collection of objects threaded on a single strand
- 10. chain, string, strand, necklace
- usage: a necklace made by a stringing objects together; "a string of beads"; "a strand of pearls";
- 1. string, thread, draw, arrange, set up
- usage: thread on or as if on a string; "string pearls on a string"; "the child drew glass beads on a string"; "thread dried cranberries"
- 2. string, string up, add
- usage: add as if on a string; "string these ideas together"; "string up these songs and you'll have a musical"
- 3. string, string along, advance, progress, pass on, move on, march on, go on
- usage: move or come along
- 4. string, arrange, set up
- usage: stretch out or arrange like a string
- 5. string, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: string together; tie or fasten with a string; "string the package"
- 6. string, remove, take, take away, withdraw
- usage: remove the stringy parts of; "string beans"
- 7. string, change, alter, modify
- usage: provide with strings; "string my guitar"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of string (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.