usage: prevent completion; "stop the project"; "break off the negotiations"
7. check, turn back, arrest, stop, contain, hold back, defend
usage: hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in South East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
8. intercept, stop, catch, grab, take hold of
usage: seize on its way; "The fighter plane was ordered to intercept an aircraft that had entered the country's airspace"
9. end, stop, finish, terminate, cease
usage: have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony ends in a pianissimo"
10. barricade, block, blockade, stop, block off, block up, bar, obstruct, obturate, impede, occlude, jam, block, close up
usage: render unsuitable for passage; "block the way"; "barricade the streets"; "stop the busy road"
11. hold on, stop, interrupt, break
usage: stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments; "Hold on a moment!"