- 1. square, foursquare, rectangle, regular polygon
- usage: (geometry) a plane rectangle with four equal sides and four right angles; a four-sided regular polygon; "you can compute the area of a square if you know the length of its sides"
- 2. square, second power, number
- usage: the product of two equal terms; "nine is the second power of three"; "gravity is inversely proportional to the square of the distance"
- 3. public square, square, tract, piece of land, piece of ground, parcel of land, parcel
- usage: an open area at the meeting of two or more streets
- 4. square, shape, form
- usage: something approximating the shape of a square
- 5. square, lame, simpleton, simple
- usage: someone who doesn't understand what is going on
- 6. square, square toes, conservative, conservativist
- usage: a formal and conservative person with old-fashioned views
- 7. square, artifact, artefact
- usage: any artifact having a shape similar to a plane geometric figure with four equal sides and four right angles; "a checkerboard has 64 squares"
- 8. square, hand tool
- usage: a hand tool consisting of two straight arms at right angles; used to construct or test right angles; "the carpenter who built this room must have lost his square"
- 1. square, square up, shape, form
- usage: make square; "Square the circle"; "square the wood with a file"
- 2. square, multiply
- usage: raise to the second power
- 3. square, adjust, conform, adapt
- usage: cause to match, as of ideas or acts
- 4. square, position
- usage: position so as to be square; "He squared his shoulders"
- 5. square, match, fit, correspond, check, jibe, gibe, tally, agree
- usage: be compatible with; "one idea squares with another"
- 6. square, settle
- usage: pay someone and settle a debt; "I squared with him"
- 7. feather, square, paddle
- usage: turn the paddle; in canoeing
- 8. feather, square, row
- usage: turn the oar, while rowing
- 1. square (vs. round), quadrate, right-angled, squared, squarish, angular#2, angulate
- usage: having four equal sides and four right angles or forming a right angle; "a square peg in a round hole"; "a square corner"
- 2. straight (vs. crooked), square, aboveboard, straightforward, guileless, transparent, straightarrow(prenominal), honest#1, honorable, lawful
- usage: characterized by honesty and fairness; "straight dealing"; "a square deal"
- 3. hearty, satisfying, solid, square, substantial, wholesome (vs. unwholesome)
- usage: providing abundant nourishment; "a hearty meal"; "good solid food"; "ate a substantial breakfast"; "four square meals a day"
- 4. square(predicate), paid (vs. unpaid)
- usage: leaving no balance; "my account with you is now all square"
- 5. square(prenominal), straightforward, straight, direct (vs. indirect)
- usage: without evasion or compromise; "a square contradiction"; "he is not being as straightforward as it appears"
- 6. square, straight, conventional (vs. unconventional)
- usage: rigidly conventional or old-fashioned
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. squarely, square
- usage: in a straight direct way; "looked him squarely in the eye"; "ran square into me"
- 2. squarely, square
- usage: in a square shape; "a squarely cut piece of paper"; "folded the sheet of paper square"
- 3. squarely, square
- usage: firmly and solidly; "hit the ball squarely"; "the bat met the ball squarely"; "planted his great bulk square before his enemy"
All rights reserved.
See also: square (Dictionary)