- 1. topographic point, place, spot, point
- usage: a point located with respect to surface features of some region; "this is a nice place for a picnic"; "a bright spot on a planet"
- 2. spot, section, subdivision
- usage: a short section or illustration (as between radio or tv programs or in a magazine) that is often used for advertising
- 3. point, spot, characteristic
- usage: an outstanding characteristic; "his acting was one of the high points of the movie"
- 4. smudge, spot, blot, daub, smear, smirch, slur, blemish, defect, mar
- usage: a blemish made by dirt; "he had a smudge on his cheek"
- 5. spot, speckle, dapple, patch, fleck, maculation, marking
- usage: a small contrasting part of something; "a bald spot"; "a leopard's spots"; "a patch of clouds"; "patches of thin ice"; "a fleck of red"
- 6. spot, section, subdivision
- usage: a section of an entertainment that is assigned to a specific performer or performance; "they changed his spot on the program"
- 7. spot, place of business, business establishment
- usage: a business establishment for entertainment; "night spot"
- 8. position, post, berth, office, spot, billet, place, situation, occupation, business, job, line of work, line
- usage: a job in an organization; "he occupied a post in the treasury"
- 9. touch, spot, attack
- usage: a slight attack of illness; "he has a touch of rheumatism"
- 10. spot, bit, small indefinite quantity, small indefinite amount
- usage: a small piece or quantity of something; "a spot of tea"; "a bit of paper"; "a bit of lint"; "I gave him a bit of my mind"
- 11. spot, pip, marker, marking, mark
- usage: a mark on a die or on a playing card (shape depending on the suit)
- 12. spotlight, spot, lamp
- usage: a lamp that produces a strong beam of light to illuminate a restricted area; used to focus attention of a stage performer
- 13. spot, playing card
- usage: a playing card with a specified number of pips on it to indicate its value; "an eight-spot"
- 14. blot, smear, smirch, spot, stain, mistake, error, fault
- usage: an act that brings discredit to the person who does it; "he made a huge blot on his copybook"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. descry, spot, espy, spy, spy, sight
- usage: catch sight of
- 2. spot, recognize, recognise, distinguish, discern, pick out, make out, tell apart
- usage: detect with the senses; "The fleeing convicts were picked out of the darkness by the watchful prison guards"; "I can't make out the faces in this photograph"
- 3. blemish, spot, dirty, soil, begrime, grime, colly, bemire
- usage: mar or impair with a flaw; "her face was blemished"
- 4. spot, fleck, blob, blot, change surface
- usage: make a spot or mark onto; "The wine spotted the tablecloth"
- 5. spot, change
- usage: become spotted; "This dress spots quickly"
- 6. spot, mark
- usage: mark with a spot or spots so as to allow easy recognition; "spot the areas that one should clearly identify"
All rights reserved.
See also: spot (Dictionary)