Synonyms of spike
- 1. spike, electrical discharge
- usage: a transient variation in voltage or current
- 2. spike, sports equipment
- usage: sports equipment consisting of a sharp point on the sole of a shoe worn by athletes; "spikes provide greater traction"
- 3. ear, spike, capitulum, fruit
- usage: fruiting spike of a cereal plant especially corn
- 4. spike, inflorescence
- usage: (botany) an indeterminate inflorescence bearing sessile flowers on an unbranched axis
- 5. spike, rise
- usage: a sharp rise followed by a sharp decline; "the seismograph showed a sharp spike in response to the temblor"
- 6. spike heel, spike, stiletto heel, heel
- usage: a very high narrow heel on women's shoes
- 7. spike, point
- usage: each of the sharp points on the soles of athletic shoes to prevent slipping (or the shoes themselves); "the second baseman sharpened his spikes before every game"; "golfers' spikes damage the putting greens"
- 8. spike, projection
- usage: a sharp-pointed projection along the top of a fence or wall (or a dinosaur)
- 9. spike, implement
- usage: a long, thin sharp-pointed implement (wood or metal); "one of the spikes impaled him"
- 10. spike, spindle, holding device
- usage: any holding device consisting of a rigid, sharp-pointed object; "the spike pierced the receipts and held them in order"
- 11. spike, nail
- usage: a large stout nail; "they used spikes to fasten the rails to a railroad tie"
- 1. spike, banish, relegate, bar
- usage: stand in the way of
- 2. transfix, impale, empale, spike, pierce, thrust
- usage: pierce with a sharp stake or point; "impale a shrimp on a skewer"
- 3. spike, fasten, fix, secure
- usage: secure with spikes
- 4. spike, spike out, develop
- usage: bring forth a spike or spikes; "my hyacinths and orchids are spiking now"
- 5. spike, lace, fortify, change, alter, modify
- usage: add alcohol to (beverages); "the punch is spiked!"
- 6. spike, increase
- usage: manifest a sharp increase; "the voltage spiked"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of spike (Dictionary)