WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. guess, conjecture, supposition, surmise, surmisal, speculation, hypothesis, opinion, view
- usage: a message expressing an opinion based on incomplete evidence
- 2. speculation, conjecture, hypothesis, possibility, theory
- usage: a hypothesis that has been formed by speculating or conjecturing (usually with little hard evidence); "speculations about the outcome of the election"; "he dismissed it as mere conjecture"
- 3. speculation, venture, investment, investment funds
- usage: an investment that is very risky but could yield great profits; "he knew the stock was a speculation when he bought it"
- 4. meditation, speculation, contemplation, reflection, reflexion, rumination, musing, thoughtfulness
- usage: continuous and profound contemplation or musing on a subject or series of subjects of a deep or abstruse nature; "the habit of meditation is the basis for all real knowledge"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of speculation (Dictionary)