Synonyms of sound
- 1. sound, sound property
- usage: the particular auditory effect produced by a given cause; "the sound of rain on the roof"; "the beautiful sound of music"
- 2. sound, auditory sensation, sensation, esthesis, aesthesis, sense experience, sense impression, sense datum
- usage: the subjective sensation of hearing something; "he strained to hear the faint sounds"
- 3. sound, mechanical phenomenon
- usage: mechanical vibrations transmitted by an elastic medium; "falling trees make a sound in the forest even when no one is there to hear them"
- 4. sound, happening, occurrence, occurrent, natural event
- usage: the sudden occurrence of an audible event; "the sound awakened them"
- 5. audio, sound, auditory communication
- usage: the audible part of a transmitted signal; "they always raise the audio for commercials"
- 6. phone, speech sound, sound, language unit, linguistic unit
- usage: (phonetics) an individual sound unit of speech without concern as to whether or not it is a phoneme of some language
- 7. strait, sound, channel
- usage: a narrow channel of the sea joining two larger bodies of water
- 8. sound, body of water, water
- usage: a large ocean inlet or deep bay; "the main body of the sound ran parallel to the coast"
- 1. sound, look, appear, seem
- usage: appear in a certain way; "This sounds interesting"
- 2. sound, go, cause to be perceived
- usage: make a certain noise or sound; "She went `Mmmmm'"; "The gun went `bang'"
- 3. sound
- usage: give off a certain sound or sounds; "This record sounds scratchy"
- 4. sound, announce, denote
- usage: announce by means of a sound; "sound the alarm"
- 5. voice, sound, vocalize, vocalise, pronounce, articulate, enounce, sound out, enunciate, say
- usage: utter with vibrating vocal chords
- 6. sound
- usage: cause to sound; "sound the bell"; "sound a certain note"
- 7. fathom, sound, quantify, measure
- usage: measure the depth of (a body of water) with a sounding line
- 1. sound (vs. unsound), dependable, good, safe, secure, healthy, solid, stable, fit, healthy, unbroken, undamaged, uninjured, wholesome
- usage: financially secure and safe; "sound investments"; "a sound economy"
- 2. healthy, intelligent, levelheaded, level-headed, sound, reasonable (vs. unreasonable), sensible
- usage: exercising or showing good judgment; "healthy scepticism"; "a healthy fear of rattlesnakes"; "the healthy attitude of French laws"; "healthy relations between labor and management"; "an intelligent solution"; "a sound approach to the problem"; "sound advice"; "no sound explanation for his decision"
- 3. sound (vs. unsound), solid, strong, substantial
- usage: in good condition; free from defect or damage or decay; "a sound timber"; "the wall is sound"; "a sound foundation"
- 4. good, sound, healthy (vs. unhealthy)
- usage: in excellent physical condition; "good teeth"; "I still have one good leg"; "a sound mind in a sound body"
- 5. reasoned, sound, well-grounded, valid (vs. invalid)
- usage: logically valid; "a sound argument"
- 6. legal, sound, effectual, valid (vs. invalid)
- usage: having legal efficacy or force; "a sound title to the property"
- 7. sound, righteous (vs. unrighteous)
- usage: free from moral defect; "a man of sound character"
- 8. heavy, profound, sound, wakeless, deep (vs. shallow)
- usage: (of sleep) deep and complete; "a heavy sleep"; "fell into a profound sleep"; "a sound sleeper"; "deep wakeless sleep"
- 9. sound, complete (vs. incomplete)
- usage: thorough; "a sound thrashing"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of sound (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.