Synonyms of sitting
- 1. sitting, posing, motion, movement, move, motility
- usage: (photography) the act of assuming a certain position (as for a photograph or portrait); "he wanted his portrait painted but couldn't spare time for the sitting"
- 2. sitting, motion, movement, move, motility
- usage: the act of assuming or maintaining a seated position; "he read the mystery at one sitting"
- 3. seance, sitting, session, meeting, get together
- usage: a meeting of spiritualists; "the seance was held in the medium's parlor"
- 4. sitting, session
- usage: a session as of a legislature or court
- 1. sit, sit down
- usage: be seated
- 2. sit, sit around, be
- usage: be around, often idly or without specific purpose; "The object sat in the corner"; "We sat around chatting for another hour"
- 3. sit down, sit, change posture
- usage: take a seat
- 4. sit, convene
- usage: be in session; "When does the court of law sit?"
- 5. model, pose, sit, posture, expose, exhibit, display
- usage: assume a posture as for artistic purposes; "We don't know the woman who posed for Leonardo so often"
- 6. ride, sit, travel, go, move, locomote
- usage: sit and travel on the back of animal, usually while controlling its motions; "She never sat a horse!"; "Did you ever ride a camel?"; "The girl liked to drive the young mare"
- 7. sit, be
- usage: be located or situated somewhere; "The White House sits on Pennsylvania Avenue"
- 8. baby-sit, sit, guard
- usage: work or act as a baby-sitter; "I cannot baby-sit tonight; I have too much homework to do"
- 9. seat, sit, sit down, put, set, place, pose, position, lay
- usage: show to a seat; assign a seat for; "The host seated me next to Mrs. Smith"
- 10. sit, serve
- usage: serve in a specific professional capacity; "the priest sat for confession"; "she sat on the jury"
- 1. seated (vs. standing), sitting
- usage: (of persons) having the torso erect and legs bent with the body supported on the buttocks; "the seated Madonna"; "the audience remained seated"
- 2. sitting, nonmoving (vs. moving), unmoving
- usage: not moving and therefore easy to attack; "a sitting target"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of sitting (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.