- 1. shortening, edible fat
- usage: fat such as butter or lard used in baked goods
- 2. shortening, decrease, diminution, reduction, step-down
- usage: act of decreasing in length; "the dress needs shortening"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. shorten, reduce, cut down, cut back, trim, trim down, trim back, cut, bring down
- usage: make shorter than originally intended; reduce or retrench in length or duration; "He shortened his trip due to illness"
- 2. abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, cut, contract, reduce, decrease, lessen, minify
- usage: reduce in scope while retaining essential elements; "The manuscript must be shortened"
- 3. shorten, change, alter, modify
- usage: make short or shorter; "shorten the skirt"; "shorten the rope by a few inches"
- 4. shorten, decrease, diminish, lessen, fall
- usage: become short or shorter; "In winter, the days shorten"
- 5. bowdlerize, bowdlerise, expurgate, castrate, shorten, abridge, foreshorten, abbreviate, shorten, cut, contract, reduce
- usage: edit by omitting or modifying parts considered indelicate; "bowdlerize a novel"
All rights reserved.
See also: shortening (Dictionary)