WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. diffident (vs. confident), shy, timid, unsure
- usage: lacking self-confidence; "stood in the doorway diffident and abashed"; "problems that call for bold not timid responses"; "a very unsure young man"
- 2. shy(predicate), insufficient (vs. sufficient), deficient
- usage: short; "eleven is one shy of a dozen"
- 3. shy, wary (vs. unwary)
- usage: wary and distrustful; disposed to avoid persons or things; "shy of strangers"
All rights reserved.
See also: shier (Dictionary)