Synonyms of sheer
- 1. swerve, sheer, curve, trend, veer, slue, slew, cut, turn
- usage: turn sharply; change direction abruptly; "The car cut to the left at the intersection"; "The motorbike veered to the right"
- 2. sheer, steer, maneuver, manoeuver, manoeuvre, direct, point, head, guide, channelize, channelise
- usage: cause to sheer; "She sheered her car around the obstacle"
- 1. absolute, downright, out-and-out(prenominal), rank(prenominal), right-down, sheer(prenominal), complete (vs. incomplete)
- usage: complete and without restriction or qualification; sometimes used informally as intensifiers; "absolute freedom"; "an absolute dimwit"; "a downright lie"; "out-and-out mayhem"; "an out-and-out lie"; "a rank outsider"; "many right-down vices"; "got the job through sheer persistence"; "sheer stupidity"
- 2. plain, sheer, unmingled, unmixed, pure (vs. impure)
- usage: not mixed with extraneous elements; "plain water"; "sheer wine"; "not an unmixed blessing"
- 3. bluff, bold, sheer, steep (vs. gradual)
- usage: very steep; having a prominent and almost vertical front; "a bluff headland"; "where the bold chalk cliffs of England rise"; "a sheer descent of rock"
- 4. diaphanous, filmy, gauzy, gauze-like, gossamer, see-through, sheer, transparent, vaporous, vapourous, cobwebby, thin (vs. thick)
- usage: so thin as to transmit light; "a hat with a diaphanous veil"; "filmy wings of a moth"; "gauzy clouds of dandelion down"; "gossamer cobwebs"; "sheer silk stockings"; "transparent chiffon"; "vaporous silks"
- 1. sheer, perpendicularly
- usage: straight up or down without a break
- 2. sheer
- usage: directly; "he fell sheer into the water"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of sheer (Dictionary)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.