- 1. search, seek, look for
- usage: try to locate or discover, or try to establish the existence of; "The police are searching for clues"; "They are searching for the missing man in the entire county"
- 2. search, look, examine, see
- usage: search or seek; "We looked all day and finally found the child in the forest"; "Look elsewhere for the perfect gift!"
- 3. research, search, explore, investigate, look into
- usage: inquire into; "the students had to research the history of the Second World War for their history project"; "He searched for information on his relatives on the web"; "Scientists are exploring the nature of consciousness"
- 4. search, examine, see
- usage: subject to a search; "The police searched the suspect"; "We searched the whole house for the missing keys"
WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. inquisitory, probing, searching, inquiring (vs. uninquiring)
- usage: diligent and thorough in inquiry or investigation; "a probing inquiry"; "a searching investigation of their past dealings"
- 2. searching, trenchant, intelligent (vs. unintelligent)
- usage: having keenness and forcefulness and penetration in thought, expression, or intellect; "searching insights"; "trenchant criticism"
- 3. searching, exploratory (vs. nonexploratory), explorative
- usage: exploring thoroughly
All rights reserved.
See also: searching (Dictionary)