WordNet 3.0 Copyright © 2006 by Princeton University.
- 1. function, office, part, role, duty
- usage: the actions and activities assigned to or required or expected of a person or group; "the function of a teacher"; "the government must do its part"; "play its role"
- 2. character, role, theatrical role, part, persona, portrayal, characterization, enactment, personation
- usage: an actor's portrayal of someone in a play; "she played the part of Desdemona"
- 3. function, purpose, role, use, utility, usefulness
- usage: what something is used for; "the function of an auger is to bore holes"; "ballet is beautiful but what use is it?"
- 4. role, activity
- usage: normal or customary activity of a person in a particular social setting; "what is your role on the team?"
All rights reserved.
See also: role (Dictionary)