Synonyms of retain
- 1. retain, hold, bear, carry, contain
- usage: hold back within; "This soil retains water"; "I retain this drug for a long time"; "the dam retains the water"
- 2. retain, continue, keep, keep on, prolong, sustain, keep up
- usage: allow to remain in a place or position or maintain a property or feature; "We cannot continue several servants any longer"; "She retains a lawyer"; "The family's fortune waned and they could not keep their household staff"; "Our grant has run out and we cannot keep you on"; "We kept the work going as long as we could"; "She retained her composure"; "this garment retains its shape even after many washings"
- 3. retain, hold, keep back, hold back, keep, hold on
- usage: secure and keep for possible future use or application; "The landlord retained the security deposit"; "I reserve the right to disagree"
- 4. retain, remember, think of
- usage: keep in one's mind; "I cannot retain so much information"
All rights reserved.
Definition and meaning of retain (Dictionary)